Thanksgiving is over, but who says you can’t be grateful on an ordinary Monday. Show gratitude by sharing a pie with your family and friends, give a smile to a stranger and send a thought out to those who are less fortunate than yourself. Also, take some time out of your busy day to reflect on what’s already in your life to be grateful for. I would like to start this Monday by saying thank you for reading my blog!
200 gram (7 oz) plain flour
150 gram (5,3 oz) softened butter
1 tbsp sugar
1-2 tbsp water
100 gram (3,5 oz) sugar
4-5 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamon
1 dl (1/2 cup)heavy cream
5-6 apples (graded and sliced)
Homemade Caramel Sauce
200 gram (7 oz) sugar
2 dl (1 cup) heavy cream
200 gram (7 oz) butter
2-3 tbsp water
A pinch of salt
How to do it
- In a large bowl, mix (crumble) flour and softened butter.
- Add water, one tablespoon at the time, until you have smooth, but firm, dough.
- Let the dough cool for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC/ 390 ºF.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a pie dish or a round cake tin (22 cm/9 in).
- Make some holes in the crust using a fork.
- Bake the crust in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven, and add the pie filling.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until you have a smooth batter. I use a stand mixer, but you may just as well use an electric hand mixer.
- In a different bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter.
- Grate 3-4 apples, and add them to the mix.
- Transfer the filling into the partly baked crust.
- Slice 2 apples, and place them on top of the filling.
- Bake the pie in the middle of the oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer put in the centre of the pie comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool down a bit before serving.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and heavy cream on medium heat until boiling point, and while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the butter, piece by piece.
- Continue to stir until the mix thickens and get a golden brown color. (This may take some time, 5-10 minutes.)
- Add the water, one tablespoon at the time, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour some of the caramel on top of the pie, and the rest in a serving bowl on the side of the pie.
Bon Appetit, and Thank You!