Roll with the season and make these spicy rolls!
200 g (7 oz) softened butter
150 g (5,5 oz) sugar
13 g dry yeast (or 50 regular yeast)
1 kg (2,2 lb) plain flour
6 dl (2 1/4 cup) milk
3-4 tsp cardamom
Filling (cinnamon/saffron butter)
150-200 g (5,5-7 oz) softened butter
Sugar/ pearl sugar
2-3 tsp cinnamon
125 mg saffron
How to do it
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar.
- Add the egg.
- In a large bowl, mix together about 900 g (2 lb) of the flour and dry yeast. (If you use regular yeast, the yeast should be mixed with the warmed milk.) I use a stand mixer with a kneading hook.
- Warm the milk to 40°C/ 104°F (or 37°C/ 100°F if you use regular yeast).
- Slowly and alternately mix in the flour and yeast mix and the milk. You probably need the rest of the flour to get a smooth dough (not too wet, not too dry), but add it slowly so the dough doesn’t get too dry.
- When the dough has the right texture mix for another 3-5 minutes.
- Take out half of the dough and place it in a separate bowl.
- To the other half of the dough, add the cardamom and mix for about 1 minute.
- Let the two doughs rise in the bowls under towels or cling film (or use an unused shower cap) for about 30-45 minutes (until double size).
- In a bowl mix about 100 g (3,5 oz) of softened butter with 2-3 tsp of cinnamon and 1-2 tbsp (pearl) sugar. In a separate bowl, mix about 100 g (3,5 oz) of softened butter with 125 mg saffron and 1-2 tbsp (pearl) sugar.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, and knead the dough for a about a minute.
- Divide each dough into 2 pieces.
- Roll out each piece to a roll, about 5 cm (2 inches) diameter. Then flatten the dough with a rolling pin (about 15 cm (6 inches) wide).
- Cover the 2 pieces of dough with cardamom with the cinnamon butter, and optionally some chopped almonds.
- Cover the 2 pieces without cardamom with saffron butter, and optionally some chopped almonds.
- Cut the dough into pieces, each piece about 5 x 15 cm (2 x 6 inches), then make 3 cuts in each piece, about 10 cm (4 inches). See pictures on how to make rolls out of each piece.
- Line a baking sheet, and place the rolls on the baking sheet. Cover them with a towel, and let them rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ºC/ 480 ºF.
- Bake the rolls in the middle of the oven until they have a golden surface, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the rolls warm, or place them in plastic bags when they are still lukewarm and put them in the freezer to serve them later.