Today I had the honor to serve cupcakes for Lars´ christening, and here’s the recipe for you. This recipe makes about 30 regular sized cupcakes and 30 small cupcakes.
400 g (14 oz) melted butter
400 g (14 oz) sugar
600 g (17,5 oz) plain flour
6 tsp vanilla sugar
4 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa
4,5 dl (1 3/4 cup) milk
350 g (12,25 oz) unsalted butter (room temperature)
100 g (3,5 oz) cream cheese
750 g (26,5 oz/ 1 lb 10,5 oz) powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
A good squeeze of a thick slice of lemon
How to do it
- Melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs and the sugar until you have a white and fluffy batter. I use a stand mixer with a whisk.
- Stir in half of the milk to the melted butter, and add it to the batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, vanilla sugar and cocoa.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients to the batter using a strainer. Mix well.
- Slowly add the rest of the milk to the batter, and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Let the batter cool down a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC/ 390 ºF.
- With a couple of spoons, transfer the batter to cupcake liners in a cupcake form.
- Bake the cupcakes in the middle of the oven until a skewer put in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Regular cupcakes take about 15-17 minutes, small cupcakes about 10-12 minutes.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and the cupcake form, and let them cool down on a cooling rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until it´s smooth.
- Mix in the cream cheese.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the milk.
- Add a good squeeze of a large slice of lemon, and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
- When the cupcakes have cooled down, cover them with the buttercream using a cake piping tool, a knife or a spatula.
- Decorate the cupcakes with figures made from sugar fondant, sprinkles, berries…
Congratulations to Lars!