I don´t know why, but somehow Christmas comes as a surprise every year. This year was no exception, so I needed to make some super fast, super easy Christmas cookies. With 3 main ingredients that can easily be mixed with additional/optional ingredients, these cookies are perfect for some last minute baking.
200 g (7 oz) softened butter
100 g (3,5 oz) powdered sugar
400 g (14 oz) plain flour
Cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, allspice, chopped chocolate, chopped almonds or other nuts, powdered licorice, cocoa, pearl sugar…
How to do it
- Mix together softened butter and powdered sugar. I use a stand mixer, but you can also use your hands.
- Slowly add the plain flour, and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into separate pieces, and add any preferred optional ingredients. (I first divided the dough into 2 pieces, then mixed in the spices in one of them. Then I divided the 2 doughs into more pieces, and mixed in chopped chocolate, chopped almonds and powdered licorice to the different pieces.)
- Roll out the different pieces until they are about 3-4 cm (1,5 inches) diameter, then place them on a cutting board and cover them with plastic foil.
- Place the rolls in a cool place for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ºC/ 480 ºF, and line a baking sheet.
- Cut the rolls into cookie sized pieces (about 1 cm thick), and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the cookies start to get a golden surface, about 5 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool down on a cooling rack.