It´s fall. The fruits have fallen off the trees and it´s time for a cake based on the fruits of the season. This apple and pear cake is super easy to make, full of flavor and is perfect for rainy November days.
75 gram (2,6 oz) melted butter
0,5 dl (1/4 cup) sugar
2 dl (1 cup) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
2-3 grated pears
2-3 grated apples
How to do it
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF), and butter and line a round cake tin, 22 cm (9 in).
- Melt the butter and let it cool down a bit.
- Grate or chop the pears and the apples, put the fruits in a bowl and mix them together with the cinnamon and cardamom.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs with the sugar. I use a stand mixer, but you may just as well use an electric hand mixer.
- Mix in the melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the plain flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar.
- Slowly add the mixed dry ingredients to the mixture.
- Mix in the grated apples and the pears with a spatula.
- Transfer the batter into the cake tin and top it with chopped almonds.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the top of the cake is golden brown, for about 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down for a few minutes in the cake tin before taking it out of the tin and laying it on a grid.
- Enjoy the flavors of fall, maybe with a scoop of ice cream.
How about doubling the recipe and make a two layered cake with some cream cheese frosting between the layers and on top of the cape? Check out First appearance – Pear cake for a recipe for frosting.